You will provide leadership and oversee the café bistro retail associates, in addition to applying your expertise as a barista, mixologist, and retail associate. As a leader in the organization you must have excellent relationship skills at all levels and in all interactions. Throughout the day you will be making coffee, espresso and chocolate drinks, and cocktails, while also preparing, heating and finishing food items. Additionally, you will be restocking, cleaning and responding to guests’ questions in thoughtful detail. You will work with the team to provide timely, professional and warm service to each guest who walks through the door.
Our ideal team member is friendly, outgoing, organized, pays attention to detail and enjoys interacting with a variety of local and global guests. You don’t have to be a chocolate expert yet – we will teach what you need to know. Your previous experience in leading, inspiring and supervising others, as well as your excellent customer service are what set you apart.
• Create espresso and chocolate drinks every day quickly and accurately, as well as be innovative to create new varieties.
• Supervise staff; set employee shift schedules and ensure associates are on time and ready for work, approve time off requests, and manage timesheets.
• Provide training for new hires (barista, POS, menu, inventory system etc). Establish performance expectations, update staff on new processes and products. Support staff development and high levels of employee engagement.
• Responsible for opening and/or closing store depending on your shift.
• Ensure accurate cash-out at the end of the day/shift and reconcile with POS and sales reports.
• Develop a quick rapport with the guests and provide an exceptional experience for them to want to return again and again.
• Prepare, heat and finish food items for the bistro orders, package appropriately for takeout or in-house seating.
• Stock, portion and prepare foods. Ensure all items are stocked and available (retail, bakery, desserts, washrooms, counters), and prep for the next shift or next day.
• Keep appropriate records of wastage, usage, and inventory.
• Clean tables, dishes, floors, bathrooms and all surfaces to the highest standard of hygiene. Maintain a constant clean-as-you-go mentality and ensure all health and safety standards are met or exceeded at all times.
• Cleanliness habits including sweeping, mopping, washing, garbage removal, recycling, and removing compost waste are all aspects of the role.
• Flexibility to work a variety of shifts throughout the week, which may include mornings, afternoons, evenings, and weekends. Our shop will be closed on Mondays. Flexibility also means you will be willing to roll up your sleeves as well as adapt to what is needed to ensure our guests have an amazing experience.
• Be a team player to support your co-workers. Be positive and improve your team’s experience just by working with you. You may be asked to help wrap chocolate one minute, then go to the retail counter the next, then clean in the kitchen the next.
• Consistent quality work with an eye for process improvement and operational efficiency utilizing checklists, documentation and all-around improvements in the café and the customer experience.
• We are a non-smoking environment and all our employees (and owners) are non-smokers because we are in the business of food which ones tastes through smell. Given the experience we want to create for our guests, you must be a non-smoker (including cannabis) due to the lingering odour those items have.
• You may be required to lift up to 20 pounds and you will be standing and walking throughout your shift.
• Previous retail or customer-facing work experience in a fast-paced environment is required. We welcome people with a background in coffee, pastries, desserts, wine or chocolate.
• Previous supervisor and leadership experience is necessary.
• Desire to grow, develop and learn about your craft as a barista and mixologist, as well as the drive to learn about chocolate and is desired.
• Strong customer service, interpersonal skills, and communication skills where you can adapt your approach depending on the situation with the goal of ensuring our guests and employees have a world class experience.
• Must have your AHS Food handling permit and AGLC Pro Serve or must be obtained within 10 days of beginning your first shift. Must be 18 or older as you may be asked to serve alcohol.
This role is a Full-Time position. You have the ability to earn based on your performance, sales, customer satisfaction and your contribution to the team and organization. We offer a benefit package for Full-Time employees. We believe in personal and professional development and those who want to learn about chocolate
will be supported. We offer the opportunity to develop a career with us, and to grow with us as the company grows and expands.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter.